Sunday, December 21, 2008

what I am learning




"but go and learn what this means: I desire mercy not sacrifice, for I have not come to call the righteous but sinners."
Matthew 9:13

Words spoken by Christ when he was asked why he ate with Tax collectors and sinners. I was convicted this morning that the life Christ desires us to live is not one of self righteousness.

To be self righteous is to be content with the righteousness found within your own being or existence. It is the clink in the plate on sunday, the devotional frequently read, and the temper controled that can be woven into a tattered blanket called self righteousness. And in this garment there is little ache for the lost because they are refusing to pull themselves up and clothe their sin.
But in a cloth of righteousness not created by man but given to man through grace. the edges are tinges with dirt for this righteousness walks the streets and offers the same to others.
This righteousness eats food paid for by an unholy lifestyle. And the wearer of this coat walks slower with the realization that all is grace beneath its feet and a thankful heart that knows the "what could have been" if not for grace.

we are not called to awe people with our holiness, but rather to touch them with this grace we have recieved and invite them freely into it.

1 comment:

Kristine Brown said...

MmmHmmm. Love you, friend. I'm praying for you and thinking of you much. : )