Saturday, August 19, 2006

The Place

I find myself here, in the place I used to reside.
Here you can see the scuff marks, where a trip became a stumble. Here you see the place I fell. The place where this path became more then I wanted to handle.
The hole is shallow, yet it was my cage and home for so long.
I slipped in slowly. And soon it was all I saw.
These walls were my world, this darkness my truth.
More life existed but I refused it's presence.
I sat wrapped in my ache. Patting myself on my back for the pain I'd gone through.
I dwelt on my hurts and examined my scars.
People came and would speak to me of the road on which they tread. I showed them my injuries and then ignore their comments. I spoke little knowing few could understand or even compare with my hurt. Soon the path I'd left became a distant memory.
Then one day, I realized that one of the scars I'd seen did not belong to me.
In my interest to understand all my hurt, I'd neglected to realize that this scar was on a hand that was not mine but offered for me. In this hand there was a mark where a nail had pierced. The reality of my eyes began to sink in.
His pain was greater. His scar went deeper.
"My God" I cried as the weight of my stupidity surrounded me. Tears fell but were inadequate to wash away my shame.
"father forgive me"
I thought the words were yelled, but my mouth could only whisper.
I grasped that hand and begged to understand, the pain he went through and the life he lives. I found myself being pulled up and soon I was side by side with my scarred savior. He showed me his scars not to draw out my pity but to show me the depth of his love.
I don't know when this pit became apart of my past and not my future. Which is why I came back today, to remember. The place I was, the God I serve, and the love I can never deserve.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was very moving..

Kristine Brown said...

Dear friend ... oh, how I miss you. The overly air-conditioned computer lab I am in seems warmer in the presence of your honest heart. Come have coffee with me sometime, okay? Love you ...

Christina said...

Alissa, you have a wonderful gift with words. I was happy to stumble over your blog and see your smiling face in the corner. Hope you are well.
Blessings