Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The Room that is called Green.

The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life.
-Robert Louis Stevenson, (attributed)


What do I do with my 24 hours every day?
A little of this a little of that a mix and combination of things, which seems to be ever expanding. Next week I start baking for a small coffee shop. Scones any one?
But this is the place I work, The Green Room.
It is a beautiful little room that I love.
It is the home of a hundred and one confusing conversations, long laughs, and moments of silent prayer.
There are cranky customers and angry chefs, moody servers and intoxicated guests.
Sometimes I stand at the bar on a busy night and marvel at the lives and stories before me. The awkward couple at table 11 that seem to be on a blind date gone wrong.
The Dad and daughter at table 22 a fathers wisdom and her softly rolling eyes.
The hum of a kitchen right behind me, pans clattering and the orders being given. The bell that seems to constantly ring and send us all scattering to grab the food while it is hot.
It is a dance to serve at a resturant. You dodge the woman who swings her arms when she talks, the wooden poles, the highschool worker with the paniced face and tray full of dirty glasses. This dance is often performed to the strains of cuban music.
One of our owners is slightly in love with spanish music as well as blue grass.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh the joys of resturants. It is so much like a dance of chaos and grace as people weave thru the buzzing place. Nothing like the conversations you run into/ over hear or the lives you inadvertantly become a part of. I found your blog a few days ago and thought i would stop creeping and finally let you know i read it. I haven't talked to you since capes but it sounds like things are going well. I will try to keep up and keep commenting.
andrea dunstan

Jeff Jacobson said...

I'm glad you seem to be enjoying, the small joys of life. Isn't awesome, that in the somewhat random and awkward times of life is so clear that God is control. I was enjoying your last blog, that there can be no good apart from Christ.

In Him,
still and always will be the son of owls,
jeff

Antonia Jacobson geb Oehm said...

Oh, I know how it is...I have been working in a restaurant/bar for the last few months as well...and it is tons of fun. I really enjoy it too...yet, like you said, it is sometimes strange to get a brief glance at people's lives and be a tiny part of so many people's days. It is a priviledge to serve God and let Christ's patience and love come through by putting plates in front of people and ask if you can do anything else for them.
I am glad we share this experience.
Miss you, friend.
Antonia.