Tuesday, October 31, 2006

thoughts of heaven by: mandy

I am in a creative writing class right now that is like the first few breaths after hours on a plane. It has been a lesson every week in vulnerability and courage. Within this class I have a small group, a safe place where we share our work and often our hearts. One of the girls in this group wrote something which I wanted to share with you. It is some thoughts of hers on heaven, what it is, what it looks like, and who we are.
Enjoy

"what we cannot see.... A world of colour
Frangrances new
sensations ever deepening, peace enveloping
Sights to overwhelm stretching further than the Grand Canyon
And reaching deeper than the sea
Sounds-maybe none-maybe more glorious then any we have ever heard
but do we understand or can we fathom the sound of silence?
I want to understand that which I can not fathom
I want to wrap my mind around that which I can not see, touch, smell, or hear.
The mystery of the heavens
A peace and silence so still you can hear nothing but the gentle, steady pounding of the Father's heart.
Angels flying, swooping down and whirling around like the wind swirling the leaves in autumn.
Their voices whisper exaltations to the King
Seraphs surround them still, their wings beating a deep broad steady rythm
the breath of the Holy one
An entire galaxy of saints of all sizes and colours and from all periods in time
Their garments of white flapping like flags in the winds of breath blowing from the throne
A rive of crystal twisting and turning through new creations
Foriegn creatures hovering above its waters
An incubation of warmth wrapping our frail bodies like the welcoming warmth of the sun cascading through the window on a cold winter afternoon.
Encompassed by holiness....inhabited by purity
The clear ringing of silver trumpets calling us home to a land that seems beyond our reach.
Splendorous gates reaching into the clouds and standing wide open, hungering to welcome the lost, bedraggled repentant sinner.
Then we realize that that is us..... That's me.

and our humaneness suddenly breaks us from the eterernal dreams and it feels like we're trying to see the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Will we ever make it? Will we ever see it, taste it, touch it or smell it? I would be overjoyed if I could just experience one, but then I remember that he is not a God of "justs". He accepts us at the demeaning and degrading depths of our depravity, not just in those frequent and few moments where we begin to understand what it means to worship him. We dream of heaven because it is real and we were created with an innate longing for the eternal. Made with hearts to hope and minds to imagine, we are called to raise our heads, close our eyes and dream of that one place that seems too good to be true because it truly is .....true.
It's ok to dream....drift back....
there is something more calling us home then open gates...
The king is on his throne...almost too glorious to behold....but he is smiling.....at you

come..... don't just dream of heaven, believe in it.

No comments: